The Controller will be responsible for the daily financial operations of Midwest Precision and Comptrol.
Job Title: Controller
Reports To: General Manager
EEO-1 Class: First/Mid-Level Mgrs
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Controller will handle high-level accounting, managerial accounting, and oversee the financial activities and daily financial operations of Midwest Precision Holdings. The Controller will also be responsible for managing and supervising all aspects of accounting from payroll to tax compliance as well as A/R and A/P. This position will report to the General Manager with direct oversight by the Financial Leadership Team of the Ownership Group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accounting Management: Close monthly financial statements within three days of month end, which include preparing bank reconciliations, importing & processing electronic transactions, reconciling credit card statements, valuing inventory, and accruing payroll and Paid-Time-Off. Establish procedures for improving time taken to close financial statements, such as accruing open purchase orders. Maintain the internal asset depreciation systems.
- Financial Analysis: Determine part profitability of shipped parts as well as project profitability of work-in-process. Establish consistent profitability reporting while communicating and working with other departments to improve profitability. Ideally developing reporting mechanisms that assess the financial performance of every “closed job” immediately upon shipment and reporting this information to internal stakeholders.
- Budgeting: Coordinate the annual budget by working with the company’s directors. Assist the President in transitioning elaborately projected part sales into monthly budgets. Develop overheard rates based upon budget assumptions.
- Forecasting: Assist in the forecasting of cash requirements. Streamline current systems to avoid duplication in reporting. Project the profitability of the sales backlog into daily proforma forward looking financial statements. Project future overhead rates.
- Information Technology Automation: Work with external programmers to develop automated financial systems that provide meaningful information to management. Identify and eliminate non-value-added activities. Suggest improvement to achieve greater efficiency.
- Continuous Improvement Culture: Collaborate with all other departments, in particular the C/I department in developing and implementing financial measurements that accurately assess the impact of C/I activity.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Additional duties as needed
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration with an emphasis in Accounting, or a related field
- Ideal candidate has 5 to 10 years of experience in field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) license required
- Previous experience as an accountant, accounting supervisor, or manager
- Excellent computer skills; experience in accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite; Access, database, or other system knowledge
- Proficiency with accounting software and experience with a software system implementation
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Eligibility to work with sensitive controlled data and materials according to ITARs policy and practice.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations
- Attention to detail
- Able to work well with senior executives and team, as well as mentor/lead other team members
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach with arms and hands and use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and speak and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities that may be required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.